5.18.2012

a mother's bias

20120515-P5154429

My mother always told me I was the most beautiful girl she ever laid eyes on. I rolled my eyes, but the way she said it, I knew she believed it. She wasn't trying to convince me–she genuinely thought I was the most beautiful girl she ever saw. It never made sense to me, not because I constantly second-guessed and changed my appearance, but let's be honest- there were movie stars and supermodels and cheerleaders and beach volleyball players all over the world, and for years I had a perm. So I came to the conclusion that my mother was delusional.

I pride myself on not being delusional. I am a realist. A realist with a sense of humor and an imagination, but still, I think I see things for what they are. There's plenty I choose to ignore, but I tend not to wade in superficial waters. I don't even watch Bravo anymore (not because I have principles, I just get bored too easily with housewives and realtors).

20120515-P5154482

My point. I have never placed a high value on appearance, so how can I ever say "my daughter is the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on?"



Because, I took this picture the other day...

20120515-P5154449

Um. Lil, you are the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on...






20120515-P5154467




No comments:

Post a Comment