3.22.2011

Lil is a cross-dresser.

I don't like pink for girls.  My preference has little to do with the color itself, I actually think Lil looks beautiful in soft carnation or rosy pink.  But the gender label attached to this color bothers me.  I don't understand why some people think I have to dress my baby girl in pink and purple when she looks just as nice in blue and brown.  Flowery prints and pastels are fine, but camouflage and plaid cause confusion.  Why not just dress our babies however we want, and let other people ask, "is that a boy, or a girl?"  I shouldn't dress my baby girl in olive drab and camouflage so that strangers aren't made uncomfortable by gender ambiguity.  I'm fine with the discomfort they might feel, and I'm just as fine with your baby boy wearing pink and purple, kittens and bunnies.  After all, our babies haven't defined their own gender identities yet.  Lil can like baseball caps just as much as tutus; she'll be my sweet girl, no matter what.





It's another nasty day in Brooklyn, and a perfect last look at this little brown kimono top and leggings from baby gap. The socks, however, are from Trumpette, the world's best baby socks.  Thank you KHB for that little box of cuteness!

1 comment:

  1. The guy I post-doc'ed with routinely sported a combo of pink polo shirt under baby blue v neck sweater... I like the little slippers with bows....

    ReplyDelete